Friday, April 2, 2010

Our Dreams

Remember when we were little and somebody would ask us what we wanted to be when we grew up? I know I wanted to be a WNBA basketball player...and basketball may have been the sport at which I was worst at. We all wanted to be something out of this world--well I shouldn't say all of us. There are those select few children who want to be doctors or scientists...but I consider those children to be genius'.

For the longest time I will never forget my sister's dream. She wanted to be a professional dancer...and when I say professional dancer I mean a broadway peformer...just so we can clear that up :) She started dancing when she was three years old...and ever since the first time she put on a pair of tap shoes, she knew what she wanted to be.

I'm sure my parents thought it was cute, but when she was a senior in high school they would ask her what she was going to college for, and she said dancing. My dad wasn't having it and told her she needed to be realistic.

I don't know if my parents ever saw the look in my sisters eyes when she danced, but the first time I saw this look of passion in her eyes, I knew she would do it, and she did. She went to a fine arts school and got her degree in dancing. After that she was a stuggling performer trying to make it in New York. After try out after try out, she finally got a call back. It was for performing and dancing at Busch Gardens in VIrginia. She ended up taking the job and did it for three years. After that she wanted to try something new, so she tryed out to dance in shows on a crusie ship...a month later--she got the job...

I guess the moral of my whole story is don't laugh at a child when they tell you want they want to be when they grow up. My sister has known since she was three years old what she wanted to do and now she is out at sea somewhere dancing on a cruise ship--now that's what I call the life! I think my sister was lucky in knowing what she wanted to do...I'm almost a senior in college and still have no idea what I want to do with my life after school...but I will know when I find something that will make me happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment