Monday, February 1, 2010

Grammy's are becoming more of a show than awards ceremony

I don't know about anybody else, but I get pretty excited every year to watch the Grammy's--and i don't get excited to see the awards...I just want to see all the performances! But is this such a good thing? I mean, it is a night dedicated to awarding our creative and outstanding artists, so should the main focus be on the performances? I guess that is up to the person who is watching it.

Take this for example--Beyonce took home 6 Grammy's, which is more than any other woman has received in one given night. Her song "Single Ladies" won song of the year, but she had to have her collaborators go on stage to except it because she was busy getting ready for her performance. I don't know about her, but If I were to win dong of the year I sure as heck would want to be on stage to except it! Also, four of her other awards were given to her before the event was actually televised...so to many, Beyonce was just another face in the crowd that night, but in reality she made history.

Don't get me wrong, the performances this year were absolutley a hit as they do a wonderful job of pairing up our new artists with the verterans of music such as Lady Gaga and Elton John, but jeez...isn't Beyonce making history in the past 52 years a big deal? I guess I think so, but some may beg to differ.

1 comment:

  1. My friend Brian questions how much the Grammies can mean when Neil Young doesn't win one throughout his career. http://twitter.com/steffen4/ You'll have to scroll down a bit.

    ReplyDelete